Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The way it was, and still should be!


It hasn't been all that long ago that there was some degree of propriety in the way people dressed.  That's especially true for women.

As I was perusing some old pictures, I couldn't help but notice the difference in the way people dressed compared to now.  Here's a picture from 1963 with my wife, her grandmother, mother and father.  Do you see anything noteworthy?  Maybe something like Sunday finest, to include hats on the women and a suit with tie on my father-in-law?

We have become a nation of slobs and that isn't just during the week, but also includes Sunday's "finest".  I'm appalled at what I see as everyday dress and even more so when I see how people are dressed when they show up for church.  The latest "cowboy" church is a good example of people wanting a day of worship to be just like every other day of the week.

It's a Biblical principle to dress in modest apparel, but that doesn't mean to be dressed in rags!

Does this mean I'm old fashioned?  I suppose that would be a fitting description, if you consider Biblical standards as being old fashioned.

I guess the Amish and Mennonites have some good perspectives on clothing, even though I would disagree with their "uniform" approach.

No comments: